Top 7 Ways To Beat Dry HairWednesday, March 16, 2011
- Use a moisturizing shampoo - Look for shampoo's that are opaque in color since they tend to have little to no harsh ingredients that will strip the hair of it's moisture.
- Deep condition with a rich moisturizing conditioner - Regularly go under the dryer or heating cap for 20-30 mins with a thick moisture rich conditioner. If you don't have a heat source, leave it on for 1 hr with a plastic cap and towel wrapped around your hair. This will help minimize damage, and hydrate your hair.
- Conditioner wash (co-wash) if you must - Washing your hair with conditioner is one of the easiest and quickest ways to cleanse/moisten the hair without stripping the natural oils. Always use a moisturizing conditioner for this process. Tip: add a dime size amount of the conditioner, you used to co-wash, back into the hair as part of your leave-in conditioner for extra moisture.
- Moisturize and seal often - Moisturize and seal (applying a small amount of natural oil to your ends i.e. olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil etc.) your ends daily (recommended) or just a few times a week . Always use a water based moisturizer. Tip: Try to part your hair in sections for efficient coverage.
- Do a protein treatment - Regular protein treatments are good for the hair since hair is made up of protein. Protein helps to rebuild the structure of the hair. It helps to fill in the cracks/open spaces along the hair shaft thus allowing the hair to keep in more moisture.
- Use acidic products to match the pH level of your hair - Hair in its healthiest state is at a pH level of 4.5-5.5, which is acidic. Acidic products help to compact the hair cuticles having them lay flat and constricted thus making it hard for moisture to escape. Acidic products also give your hair a nice shine too. Tip: Citric Acid is known to adjust the pH level in most shampoos and conditioners down to a pH level of 4.5-5.
- Hot oil treatments - Hot oil treatments are one of the best treatments for dry, brittle hair. If done regularly, hot oil treatments help to correct the moisture balance in the hair. It also increases elasticity in the hair thus aiding in length retention. Tip: For severe dry ends, dampen the hair with water, apply the oil to the ends first, then place a plastic cap over the hair overnight for maximum penetration. Shampoo or co-wash in the morning.