Preparing Your Hair For SwimmingSunday, June 23, 2013
"How do I protect my hair when swimming. I was told to put oil over my hair before getting in the water. Is this right? HELP!!!"Advice: Summer is upon us and what is a summer without swimming?! Chlorine is found in pool water as a way of disinfecting the water. It helps remove and breakdown bacteria, oil and dirt. This solution removes the natural oils that protect our hair and scalp thus stripping the hair of moisture. Over time this can cause severe over drying, increased porosity and breakage. It is extremely important to keep the hair healthy and protected against the harmful effects of chlorine.
Those Who Have:
- Color-treated hair
- Chemically treated hair i.e. relaxer, perm
- Dry hair
- Thin/Fine hair
- Previously damaged hair
Are more susceptible to damage faster and more severely; therefore, you'd want to take extra care to prevent damage.
Ways To Prepare Your Hair Before Swimming:
- Soak your hair in Chlorine-Free water prior to going in the pool. Your hair is like a sponge, therefore, it will only absorb so much. If you saturate with clean water, your hair is less likely to absorb the chlorinated water.
- Apply Conditioner and Silicone products prior to entering the pool. Products with high levels of silicone will prevent the absorption of chlorine. You can seal your hair with an oil, prior to applying the silicone, for added protection.
- Use a swim cap.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly after exiting the pool. Flushing the hair with clean water will help remove the chlorine and chemicals from the hair.
- After swimming, shampoo your hair immediately! I suggest ION Purifying Solutions Swimmers Shampoo. This will help remove the build up from chlorine and minerals that have deposited on the hair. It will also help prevent damage. It will restore softness and manageability. It's also sulfate-free.