1. Scalp Massages With Oil. Massaging your scalp is an excellent way to stimulate the blood to increase circulation and promote more hair growth. It also helps to detox the scalp of any impurities that may inhibit growth. Use an oil of your choice and massage your scalp with it 2-3 times per week. For extra benefits, warm the oil and bring the oils from the scalp through the length of the hair for a hot oil treatment. Leave in the hair for 15-20 mins (you can use heat for better absorption).
2. Deep Condition Weekly. Cold dry air sucks moisture right out of our hair. The best way to replenish lost moisture is to deep condition weekly with heat (25-30mins). Depending on your hair, you may want to use a rich moisturizing conditioner or a combination of both protein/moisture. Keeping up with your deep conditions will in turn improve the overall health of your hair. Over time, your hair will thrive and withstand the harsh weather.
3. Baby Your Hair. Protect your hair/ends from harsh Fall/Winter fabrics by putting it up off of your shoulders. The constant contact with these fabrics can cause unnecessary dryness and breakage. Opt to wear your hair up off of your shoulders in protective styles. Protective styles prevent the hair from drying out and being exposed to cold temperatures. Protective styling will also aid in length retention.
4. Keep Your Ends Moist. When our hair is exposed to harsh weather, our ends tend to suffer the most since it's the oldest part of our hair. Moisturize your ends first and then work your hair up the hair shaft. Use a water based moisturizer daily or every other day to combat dryness in order to prevent breakage.
5. Take Your Vitamins. Nourish your hair from the inside out. Remember to take a multi-vitamin daily for optimal health and eat a well balanced diet for proper nourishment. Make sure your vitamins have a healthy dose of B-Complex, Iron, Calcium, Vitamin D and Omega 3's.