5 Signs Indicating You Have High Porosity HairFriday, January 24, 2014
Does Your Hair...
1. Dry very quickly after washing it?
2. Tangle easily, even after you've thoroughly detangled it?3. Always feel dry and/or brittle after moisturizing?
4. Absorb products easily? Is it thirsty?
5. Have a low shine/sheen?
Porosity is the hair's ability to absorb moisture. This is determined by the condition of the hair's cuticle layer (the overlapping scales of the hair shaft), and is rated as low, normal, and high.
Hair that has a high porosity tends to have raised cuticles and the hair too-readily absorbs moisture. Overly-porous hair also releases moisture easily, thus; becoming dry and prone to damage. Perms and straighteners will process much faster in high-porosity hair. Having highly porous hair does not mean your hair is damaged, it just means you have to use different methods when taking care of it :)
- Add a mixture of Water and Aloe Vera Juice in a spray bottle (1/4 AVJ, 3/4 Water). Use this before adding your leave-in conditioner.
- Add 1-2 tsps of Aloe Vera Juice in your deep conditioner to lower the pH balance of the conditioner.
- Do an Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse 1-2x/week after you shampoo or co-wash your hair. Apple Cider Vinegar is known to lower the pH balance in the hair and close the cuticles allowing your hair to hold on to moisture.
- Use Roux Porosity Control Conditioner weekly as a quick condition or 1 tbsp in your moisturizing deep conditioner.