Why You Should Add Coconut Oil To Your RegimenSaturday, January 04, 2014
Coconut oil is one of those "must have" oils for any hair regimen for the simple fact that it can penetrate the hair cortex up to 90% (Cortex- The middle layer that gives your hair elasticity and holds majority of the hairs strength) as opposed to Olive oil at 25%. No other oils can do that! As a result, this oil can help moisturize, condition and strengthen your hair with continued use.
Coconut oil has a strong attraction to protein (hair is made up of protein/keratin); therefore, it has the ability to penetrate deeply into the cortex reducing damage to the hair cuticle during regular manipulation i.e. combing, brushing, styling etc. Most importantly, Coconut oil is known to prevent Hygral Fatigue. Hygral Fatigue can damage the hair due to the expansion and contraction of the hair during the uptake and loss of water. As a result, this process can eventually weaken the hair by causing damage to the hair cuticle and cortex i.e. . Swelling and de-swelling of hair is one of the causes of hair damage. If the cuticle is constantly under stress, it will expose the cortex leading to porosity issues and breakage.
With the presence of Coconut oil, the swelling of the hair shaft is reduced. Coconut oil can be used as a pre-wash treatment (great for preventing protein loss) to prevent the hair shaft from swelling and taking up too much water. This will help prevent the cuticle from being raised and exposing the cortex = less damage.
Facts To Remember About Coconut oil:
- Can penetrate the hair cortex up to 90%.
- Has a high affinity to protein, meaning that it binds easily to the natural proteins that can be found in our hair (Keratin).
- It can help reduce cuticle damage due to regular manipulation i.e. brushing, combing, styling.
- Coconut oil as a pre-poo/pre-wash treatment (applied to dry unwashed hair) can prevent the expansion and contraction of wet hair preventing weak, damaged hair.
Use Coconut Oil As A Pre-Wash Treatment:
- Get your hands on Virgin or Extra Virgin Coconut oil (unrefined is best). Take a few tablespoons, rub it in your hands until it melts and coat your scalp and hair with the oil. Focus on your ends. Be sure to gently massage it into the hair and scalp.
- Apply a plastic cap and let it sit for 15 mins with heat or 30 mins/1 hour without heat. The longer the better!
- Follow up with your favourite SLS free shampoo or Co-wash conditioner. Be prepared to notice softer, smoother, stronger hair!