Loving My Relaxed Hair™ Presents: EricaSaturday, October 10, 2015
Introduce yourself! what's your name? where are you from?
My name is Erica and I'm from Long Island, NY
How would you describe your hair? What's your hair type?
My hair texture is 4C and I would describe it as low porosity at times and thick
I started my relax hair journey on 8/4/2012 (best decision ever). I learned with my hair less is more so I try and make my hair regimen as simple as possible.
- Wash my hair, do a light protein treatment and deep condition weekly under my steamer
- Alternate between my Crème of Nature Argan Oil Strenth & Shine Leave In and Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Infusion leave in
- Moisturize and seal every 1-2 days with Scurl Moisturizer and seal with African Royal Hot Six Oil
- Always tie my hair up at night and finger comb only except wash days
- Oil my scalp a few times a week followed by a 5 minute scalp massage
- Protective style 95% of the time
- Do medium protein treatments every 8 weeks using ORS Hair Mayo
- Clarify and use a porosity control shampoo and conditioner monthly(Roux Porosity Control Shampoo and Conditioner and Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo)
- Relax my hair once every 16 weeks (looking for a new relaxer)
Patience, Patience, Patience and Consistency! What may work for one persons hair may not work for yours, do not get discouraged! You have to find what works for you and then once you do stick to it, don't jump on every band wagon. Don't be afraid to trim your hair. When starting off your journey start with a health trim/cut. Always think about health over length. This is a very supportive community of ladies don't be afraid to reach out and ask for advice. Take advantage of all of the information on here.
Nowadays it's becoming more uncommon to see relaxed hair or products geared towards relaxed hair. Do you feel the pressure to go natural? Why or why not? What are your thoughts on the natural hair movement?
I do see a lot of ladies going natural but I do not feel pressured to go natural. I once tried stretching about 7 months with braids and different protective styles but my hair was extremelyyyy thick so I chose to perm. I love my relaxed hair. I am not opposed to it but I believe healthy hair all hair is important, whether you are relaxed, texlaxed, natural etc. I think the natural hair movement is both empowering and tough at the same time. I find on social media some naturals can be judgmental at times towards relaxed ladies and hard on other naturals as well. I promote healthy hair regardless how you chose to wear it.
Why do you choose to remain relaxed while many are transitioning back to their natural hair?
I always wanted to see if I had "growing hands". My goal was to always have long relaxed healthy hair and I plan on staying on track with that.
What do you absolutely love about your relaxed tresses? And why?
What I love most about my hair is that I can wear it in so many different styles. Straight, curly, wavy etc. I love that I can do a number of things to it without having to use direct heat, for example, straight styles.